These sweet teriyaki meatballs are great as an appetizer or served over rice. The sesame seeds add nice flavor and texture.
Yields about 35 meatballs
- 1 pound (450 g) ground beef
- 1 pound (450 g) ground pork
- 1/2 cup (45 g) bread crumbs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (50 g) brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) honey
- Add a couple of dashes of crushed red pepper to spice things up (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C). Coat a rimmed baking sheet with oil.
In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1/4 cup water; set aside.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, add soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic powder, honey and 1 cup water; bring to a simmer. Stir in cornstarch mixture until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, breadcrumbs, egg yolks, green onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and pepper. Using a spoon or clean hands, stir until well combined. Roll the mixture into 1 1/4-to-1 1/2-inch meatballs, forming about 35 meatballs.
Place meatballs onto prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. Serve meatballs immediately with teriyaki sauce, garnished with green onion and sesame seeds.