From An Expat Cooks
- 1 pound (450 g) ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 package of taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup (113 g) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 (8 ounce/450 g) cans refrigerated crescent rolls [here, I must use two rolls of blaetterteig that I slice into 8 triangles each using a pizza wheel]
- Optional additional toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives, jalapenos, sour cream, taco sauce, salsa
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and onion until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are soft. Drain fat, if needed. Add taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Simmer 3 to 4 minutes until thickened.
Separate the crescent dough into triangles. Arrange 8 triangles into a ring, leaving a 5-6 inch diameter hole in the center. Arrange the remaining 8 triangles in between the first triangles. The ring should look like a sun.
Spoon the beef mixture onto the end of the triangles closest to the center of the ring. Sprinkle over the cheese. Bring the top layer of triangles up and over the filling, tucking the pointed end under the ring. Repeat with the bottom layer of triangles.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until dough is golden brown and thoroughly cooked. Cool slightly before slicing. Garnish with toppings, if desired.