From An Expat Cooks
- 1/2 pound (220 g) ground beef
- 1/2 pound (220 g) ground pork
- 3/4 - 1 cup (90-120 g) bread crumbs (regular or panko)
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon (15 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces (113 g) mozzarella or Asiago cheese, or 3-4 string cheeses, cut into small bits
Cut the cheese into small cubes, then leave them in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C). Grease a rimmed baking pan, then set it aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients together with your hands until well combined, but don't overwork the meat. *I start with 3/4 C of breadcrumbs, then add more as needed.
Remove the cheese from the refrigerator. Scoop out a golf ball sized portion of meat and slightly flatten it. Place a piece of cheese in the center, then form the meat around it, rolling it into a ball. Place the meatball on the prepared baking pan, then repeat the process until the meat is used up. Try to keep the meatballs around the same size to ensure even cooking time.
Bake the meatballs for 15-20 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Serve as an appetizer with marinara sauce for dipping, with pasta, or as a sandwich!